Sunday 9 February 2014

Film 19 - Inside Llewyn Davis

Inside Llewyn Davis - 09/02/2014

..or Inside Llewelyn Bowen as Clare once called it...

I am a big fan of Fargo and The Big Lebowski, and I like O Brother, so half knew what to expect from a Coen Brothers film.  Inside LD is nothing like the aforementioned films, in fact, it is quite hard to say what it is like.

LD is a folk singer that used to be part of a double act, but his partner threw himself off the wrong bridge.  With no fixed address, no money and an agent that really struggles with his files, LD is down on his luck.  The film opens with a full rendition of "Hang Me, Oh Hang Me", which for me was just fantastic, and engaging.  The film then drifted with no apparent reason or point, including a car trip with John Goodman for 20 mins until the final scene were a famous folk singer of the early 1960's performs at the Gaslight.

Joel Coen has been quoted, "The film doesn't really have a plot.  That concerned us at one point, that's why we threw the cat in".  I am a little ailurophobic (fear of cats) so one point were the cat is left with John Goodman didn't upset me as much as some cat lovers on the internet

I think I really enjoyed the film, I found Oscar Isaac's character horrible yet endearing.  I say "Think" because I am not entirely sure if I did like it.  I came out of the cinema with love for the film, but apart from the music (which is already in my spotify playlist) nothing really much happened...at all.

Hey, Mr Kennedy, the four jumpers and Llewyn's Agency are hilarious moments that stand out

This has been one of the hardest reviews to write

No comments:

Post a Comment