Saturday 4 October 2014

Film 85 - Gone Girl

Gone Girl - 04/04/2014

My second Rosamund Pike film in 24 hours, and what a difference.

There is not really much I can say about this film without spoilers and I really don't to ruin the film for anyone who is looking to go see this.

I have not read the book the film is based on, so went into the cinema without much understanding of what I was going to see.  I had seen the trailer and thought it could be a normal run of the mill thriller until I saw that David Fincher was the director, then I got a little excited.

Mr Fincher has directed some of my favourite films, so I was expecting a lot from this before the film began, and I was not let down.

Ben Affleck plays Nick Dunne, who after the disappearance of his wife, Amy (Rosamund Pike) becomes the focus of an intense media circus, is he innocent or with his motives could he have had something to do with her disappearance?  The first part of the film is done with Ben Affleck in the media and how the news, family and friends all feel about him whilst under police investigation, and the Rosamund Pike section running alongside giving us the back story of the last 5 years of marriage through diary entries.  Both sides portray Nick Dunne in a different light which I started to question his innocence.

With more and more coming into the light and the police investigation heating up the film takes different routes to lead to a fantastic climax.

Gone Girl is definitely worth a watch, all the leads are really well acted and believable.  There are a few laughs as well, and the long running time flew by with not a thought of boredom

As I said, without ruining the film, I can only really write about the first hour of the film, but believe me, this is really worth a watch.  Visually stunning with an absorbing soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment