Sunday 20 July 2014

Film 64 - Monty Python Live (Mostly)

Monty Python Live (Mostly) - 20/07/2014

As I sat waiting for the show to begin, being broadcast live from the O2 Arena in London on the final night of the "last ever" Monty Python Live, Cineworld played a few tracks from the album "Monty Python Sings". As each new track came on I realised that although I had not heard the album for a few years, I still new all the words.

Singing along to Finland, Eric the Half a Bee and Every Sperm is Sacred, I was in for a real treat.

As the 30 minute countdown began, a video of the back stage preparations and a few trivia questions was shown to get us in the mood, but when the counter started reaching the final minute I got a little excited.

"Broadcast to 60,000 people in the UK via cinema and TV, 60,000 in America, 60,000 in Australia, All Across Europe and Canada, 0 in Brazil"

Within minutes I had tears of laughter coming down my cheeks as the remaining pythons appeared on stage for a "photo opportunity", followed by the infamous "4 Yorkshire Men" and many more classic sketches.  A few musical numbers by Eric Idle (to which I was mostly singing along) and a celebrity cameo of Eddie Izzard as Bruce.  The Pythons had not lost any of their timing or comedic prowess, they were seriously on form.

With a thirty minute interval, I left the cinema for a drink and was singing a few songs in my head.



When the curtains went up for the second act I knew this was the stronger section, Spam Lake, Parrot Sketch, Every Sperm is Sacred, Blackmail (with Mike Myers completely star struck to be on stage with the Pythons), the Penguin on the TV set, the cheese seller, and finally one of the most famous songs in the world.



Mr Eric Idle thanked everyone for their support and seemed very touched, he then went on to say that this show was being broadcast to approximately 6 million people around the world and he would like everyone of them to join in with "Always look on the bright side of life"  




When the pythons started singing, the special guests from the previous 9 nights joined them on stage, Stephen Fry, Al Murray, Warrick Davis, Eddie Izzard, to name a few, then the whole backstage crew joined them and I got a little emotional to be part of such a big event.


Truly a fantastic experience and one that I won't forget in a long time.  There is potential that at the end of the month Cineworld will be re-showing the event again, if they do I really recommend going watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment