Thursday 17 July 2014

Film 63 - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2D)

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2D) - 17/07/2014


With growing confidence, I was sure that the Unlimited Secret Screening I was to attend on the 15th July was not going to be Dawn of the Apes because it was released 1 day later, Clare and I booked our tickets to the show.  How wrong I was. 



Luckily though, Clare had opted not to go to the late, mid week secret screening and we are both not a fan of gimicky 3D, so our early mid week 2D booking was more preferable to the both of us.


Clare had not seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes before, so we snuggled up on the couch on the Wednesday night and learned of Caesar's early life with James Franco and his dad, to the incarceration and cruelty of the monkey sanctuary finishing with a rampage on the Golden Gate Bridge.  Clare was ready for some more ape action (dirty minds!!!)

Having seen Dawn a couple of nights before but with the contrast turned to 1 and annoying floaty subtitles I was happy for the colourful, less distracting 2D version.


I definitely enjoyed the film more the second time round and Koba was still as menacing.  For my full thoughts on the film, please see my secret screening review.

All I can say extra is that during the loud, crash, bang, wallop of the Summer Blockbuster season it is great to get a massive blockbuster like this that doesn't conform.  Nolan-esque in delivery, stunning motion capture and ape creation and humans that are not just there for plot advancement (Godzilla).  Definitely better in 2D that 3D

No comments:

Post a Comment