Tuesday 28 October 2014

Film 93 - Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters - 28/10/2014

"Go get 'em Ray!"

Can you believe it? 30 years since the release of Ghostbusters!  

Three "scientists" decide to create the Ghostbusters after an experience at the library.  Trapping spooks in various locations such as The Sedgwick Hotel, they become local celebrities and are there to save the Big Apple when the time comes.

I was sat with The Film Lord, Roshtakular and a full auditorium on a Tuesday night ready for a nostalgia overload.  The cinema was full of 30-40 somethings, some bringing their kids to relive their childhood through them and you could feel the excitement in the air.  As soon as the librarian started walking through the stacks, I knew I was in good hands again, and was going to really enjoy the next few hours

I always wonder what the film would have been like if they had followed the original Dan Akroyd idea, John Belushi, Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy as the busting trio and John Candy taking on the Louis role


Cineworld had opted to show the extended special edition version of the film so there were a few scenes that were new to me, and it just looked great on the big screen.  The effects definitely do not hold up, but it doesn't matter because the characters are fantastic and the humour perfect.  Bill Murray is just a genius, 

These nights are an obvious success and I plead with Cineworld to make more of them.  Christmas Movies - Die Hard, Gremlins, Muppet's Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life, or just films because they are brilliant and nostalgic.  I have not seen the cinema as full for most current blockbusters and I know that if Cineworld planned a nostalgia night once a month I would be there with many others with a smile on my face.  C'mon Cineworld, bring back the Goonies, Big Trouble in Little China, Rocky III, Back to the Future

No comments:

Post a Comment