Thursday 5 June 2014

Film 52 - A Million Ways to Die in the West

A Million Ways to Die in the West - 05/06/2014

I had seen a few reviews of A Million Ways from critics and people like myself across the interweb.  With mentions of too many fart, penis and poop jokes and being like one of the long and unfunny episodes of Family Guy, they were not very favourable reviews.

So entering the cinema my expectations were as low as they could be.
Sat two rows behind me were the patrons from hell, one of them very loudly announcing "Mi Magners won't fit in'th ole", so I knew the class of people in with me was fitting for the film.

Before I also start the review, may I also point out that possibly on of the best comedy westerns ever on film is Blazing Saddles, and I knew from the start that "A Million Ways" would come nowhere near this.

Seth McFarlane plays a sheep farmer down on his luck, just after splitting up with his longterm (6 month) girlfriend who has ran off with the owner of the Moustachary,  he meets Charlize Theron who helps him train in gunslinging to win a duel to win back his goggly eyed girl.

There is nothing new brought to the table, and I really struggled when Seth spoke and the voice came out of a human.  It took me most of the film to get used to this actually.

Surprisingly, I really enjoyed this.  There are some great references to classic films (including a little bit of the Blazing Saddles theme tune) and one of the BEST cameo's known to film history....even if they have got the dates wrong....

So yes, there are too many fart/penis/poop jokes (if that could actually be possible), but there are lots of other great little lines.  Most of them from side characters, like Seth's dad, there is a great musical number in the middle of the film and it definitely passed the 6 laugh test and the trailer didn't ruin the film by showing the only funny bits.

I have always thought that Amanda Seyfrieds eyes are too far apart and goggly for her to be attractive, but for this to be referenced in the film by the beautiful Charlize was perfect.

If you go into the film with low expectations then I am sure there are a few giggle to be had, If you are expecting Family Guy or some parts of Ted then you may be disappointed, but at least the cameo won't let you down.

And if you are wondering, the Magners did not fit and the drinker opted for, "I'll affort down it, cos it'll just get warm if I hold it"

No comments:

Post a Comment