Sunday 26 October 2014

Film 91 - Annabelle

Annabelle - 26/10/2014

Porcelain Dolls are the scariest thing on the planet!  Why would anyone collect them?

My Aunty has a rather large collection of Porcelain dolls and every time I go to visit they scare the living heebie jeebies out of me. Their dead eyes, ghostly stare and cold skin just horrifies me




The scary parts of "The Conjuring" for me were mainly based around the doll, Annabelle, so when I saw the trailer for this prequel I was a little intrigued.  Could this be the horror film of the year, the one I have been looking for?

A young family in the 1960's are expecting their first child when they are attacked by two satanic cult members to which one of them likes the new porcelain doll the family acquired.  This is when things start to go a little weird in the household.  The doll seemingly moves location, returns after being binned and generally causing creaks and moans around the house that can only be put down to something supernatural.

The type of horror films that have been made in the last few years are all following the same style, quiet quiet quiet LOUD.  More shock horror than actual horror.  The cheap scare with a loud violin screech.  Now don't get me wrong there are a few good creepy moments in the film, one of them completely ruined by it being in the trailer, but the laziness of the bang shock is over used.

The fact the the Annabelle doll exists and is in a museum adds a little spookiness to the story, and the ending was much better than most horror films of late, but it is still not there as a great horror film, my search continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment