Friday 26 December 2014

Film 101 - The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies - 26/12/2014

I am a massive fan of The Hobbit book and when I found out the Peter Jackson was to extend the Lord of the Rings Trilogy by adding the Hobbit I was a little excited.  What I was not excited about was when I found out that the small children's book was to be divided into three separate three hour films.

I enjoyed the first installment, but thought the added bits were just padding.  The second films finale that seemingly went on for hours (the chase scene through the smelting factory) was completely pointless and I was getting a little miffed by this point and was wondering how Mr Jackson was going to make a third film with only a few pages remaining in the book, he did, and this was the result.

The Battle Of The Five Armies starts immediately where the last film left off, with Smaug flying over to Laketown.  Within 15 minutes Smaug is down and the story begins padding.  Why could this not have been the end of the second film? Why could the padding from the first and second film just been taken out and the actual story of "The Hobbit" told.  I admit, I would have been happy seeing this done over two films but three was really taking the mick.

There are some fantastic scenes and Smaug is a great nemesis for the start of the film, but there is too much padding.  I was sad to see the Middle Earth Saga come to an end, but I am happy now that it is, unless The Silmarillion or The Legend of Sigurd and Gidrun are next on the trilogy list for Mr Cash-in Jackson.

This is definitely the weaker part of the Hobbit Trilogy and the whole trilogy pales into insignificance to the far superior Lord of the Rings Trilogy (based on three books? why were there not 9 films?)

And don't even get me started on Evangeline Lilly's character!

No comments:

Post a Comment